It is of great importance that we are culturally responsive because of the range of ethnicities at my school and in the community. Although there are a majority of Maori children there are nearly the same amount of Pacific Island children as a whole (although I choose not to lump these together but rather separate into Samoan, Tongan, Niuean, Cook Island and Fijian). European and Asian children make up 10% - an entire 10th of the school - so cannot be discounted and must be valued as well.
If you looked at my classroom now you will see flags of each country, you will see mihi's on the wall and as auras with children speaking different languages as well as their own. I have been told before this is just a token gesture but I don't see it as that, and my children don't see it as that. I try and use some part of each language each day to show the children that I value where they are coming from and they appreciate that. I use English in the same way - english is my language and I want them to use it well. They teach me new words each day. I don't have commands on the walls and colours named because it's a requirement - I do it because it's right and everyone's culture must be valued. In his video, Hogan (2012) says that we want to make sure we're doing the best for all our kids, not just the Maori kids, but all our kids. I agree wholeheartedly with this. Majority cannot rule in this case, it's a matter of including everyone and valuing where they have come from.
With parents/family/whanau it is of the same importance to value them. I choose to greet child x's parents with kia ora, and child y's with talofa lava. It shows I know them, and value that they have a different background. Not all children are the same and shouldn't be treated like that.
I participate whenever and wherever I can to include myself in the traditions and cultural aspects of what is happening at school. During language weeks I use as much language as I can. I may get it wrong but the children appreciate the trying and they'll happily correct me. I wear lavalavas and puletasi's to show solidarity with that culture. I don't sit on tables or allow anyone else to because that's considered rude in Maori culture.
It isn't really that hard. I choose to work in South Auckland. I love the children I work with and I want them to love learning. Making an effort is just manners really. I expect the exact same from them!
Hogan, M. (2012). Culturally responsive practice in a mainstream school [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.edtalks.org/video/mike-hogan-culturally-responsive-practice-mainstream-school
No comments:
Post a Comment